This program has quickly become one of the hallmarks of the New England Kids Triathlon. During 2018, it will enable us to engage more than 12,000 students across New England in discussions about the importance of being healthy, active and responsible. And, it will result in donations of more than $7,000 back to schools to support their on-going efforts to motivate kids to exercise every day and watch what they eat.
The primary goal of these programs is to encourage kids to do something healthy and active with their friends. Most participants in the New England Kids Triathlon are first-time triathletes, though more than 80% of the kids elect to participate again the next year. Every finisher gains a huge sense of accomplishment, and everyone involved experiences a tremendous amount of pride. For the first time, many kids are able to represent their school and to help it earn money to fund new equipment and new programs.
Some Important Details
- The #1 objective is for the kids to see that being healthy and active can be fun.
- The program is very flexible, but it usually works best when 2 or 3 people at a school embrace the effort and actively encourage kids to participate. The more excitement and enthusiasm, the better. The leaders can be parents, staff or teachers.
- Participation can be as simple as agreeing to form a team and notifying all students and parents about the team through existing channels. This can include PTA meetings, school newsletters, teacher announcements and enclosing event information in weekly folders.
- Our objective is to introduce kids to the healthy habits of swimming, biking and running, and there is also a strong focus on proper nutrition and safety. In addition, every school earns a $10 per participant educational grant to use at your discretion.
If you are ambitious and really want to grow your team, Kids Triathlon has numerous resources available – at no charge – to assist you. These include:
- student assemblies that focus on nutrition, exercise and being responsible;
- coaches available to transform a day’s PE classes into Intro to Triathlon sessions;
- volunteers who are able to lead before or after school triathlon clinics; and
- printed posters, brochures and registration forms.
- Registration is easy. You can either direct parents to register on-line via our website at NewEnglandKidsTriathlon.org or hold an actual registration drive where kids bring their completed forms and payment to their teachers (or a central collection point).
- Lots of complimentary prizes are available if you want to turn participation into a school-wide contest. Classes with the highest participation rates can earn free lunches, cool t-shirts, gift cards and stadium tours.
- For more information about how to get a team started or to officially form a New England Kids Triathlon Team, please contact our team coordinator, Chris Reese. He can be reached at 904.448.2464 or through email at Chris.KidsTriathlon@gmail.com.